Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
Prep time: 20 MCook time: 1 hourTotal time: 1 H & 20 M
Rich, velvety, filling- ultimate comfort food. Serve with crusty whole grain bread for dunking.
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, roughly diced
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly minced
- 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Line a baking sheet with split or parchment paper, and spread tomato halves in a single layer.
- Roast in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp water in a soup pot over medium. Add diced onions and sauté until translucent.
- While onions are cooking, make cashew cream. In a high-speed blender, blend cashews with 1 cup vegetable broth until smooth and creamy.
- Add garlic, cashew cream, remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and roasted cherry tomatoes to the soup pot.
- Season with a large pinch of salt, pepper, and optional Italian seasoning.
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Puree soup until smooth using an immersion blender or by transferring soup into a regular blender.