The flavor and texture of raw kale can be an acquired taste, but when it is massaged with healthy fats and citrus it transforms into a delicate and delightful leafy green. Serve this insanely simple and delicious salad to a crowd, and you just might convert everyone into kale lovers.
Quick, Easy Massaged Kale Salad With Avocado
- 2 bunches lacinato kale
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Toasted nuts or seeds (chopped pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, cashews, hemp seeds)
- Chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro)
- Other chopped vegetables
- Baked tofu
- Tempeh bacon
- Cooked whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, farro)
- Strip kale from its stalks, wash, and chop into small pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Slice open avocado, remove pit, and scoop into the bowl with the kale. Squeeze lemon juice into the bowl as well. Add salt.
- With clean hands, massage and mix kale, smashing the avocado as you go. Continue until kale begins to soften and the smashed avocado is relatively evenly distributed.
- While kale mixture rests in the refrigerator, toast bread (if you’d like to give bread more flavor, drizzle with olive oil or spread with a dairy-free butter before toasting). Once the bread cools a little, chop into bite-size squares and mix into the kale. Fold in any other optional ingredients.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Does not include optional ingredients