Three Bean Veggie Chili
Yield: 5-6 servings
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 40 Min
his chili is the definition of comfort food and easily multiplies for a crowd. Serve with cornbread or my Sweet Potato Biscuits.
- 1 tablespoon water or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté onions in water until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add sweet potatoes, peppers, and spices and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. If you’d like to thicken the chili a little bit, pulse with an immersion blender to reach your desired consistency.