Vegan Double Chocolate Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 MCook time: 15 MTotal time: 25 M
These double chocolate muffins are almost like brownies and nourishing enough for breakfast. Brownies for breakfast? Yep, you read that right. Top these ooey gooey little guys with a dollop of peanut butter to take it up another notch.
- 1 flax egg (combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit until thick, about 5 minutes).
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup plant milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or canola oil + more for oiling muffin tin
- 1 large mashed banana
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly oil muffin tin (or use muffin cup liners).
- Prepare flax egg.
- Combine flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add maple syrup, oil, mashed banana, plant milk, and prepared flax egg.
- Stir until just combined (be careful not to over-stir!).
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes before removing.
- Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container for up to a week.