Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Author: Kayli Anderson MS RDN
Prep time: 10 MCook time: 15 MTotal time: 25 M
These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a slightly sweet and pleasantly spiced breakfast or dessert.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup (add more if you want sweeter muffins)
- ¼ cup canola oil or melted Earth Balance (plus more for oiling muffin tin)
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly oil muffin tin (or use muffin cup liners).
- Prepare flax egg. Combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add maple syrup, oil, pumpkin puree, and prepared flax egg.
- Stir until just combined (be careful not to over-stir!).
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes before removing.
- Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container for up to a week.